Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The beginning

A few months ago I purchased How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman. I started off reading it like a book. I have this weird habit of reading cookbooks like books. I love reading recipes, but its very rare for me to actually cook something from it. I have a shelf full of cookbooks I've only cooked one or two recipes from, if that. I subscribe to many cooking blogs, but rarely try the recipes they endorse.

This book is different though. I've tried probably 10-15 recipes already. This is unheard of. The husband and I started a new game when I didn't have a clue what we wanted for dinner. He would choose a number at random and then we'd flip to that page and cook something on or near it. Its fun and takes the pressure off what to cook.

I've fallen for this book. I lovingly read each and every page, marking pages for future cooking. Mr. Bittman has a way of making everything, even the random things I would never consider cooking, sound simple to prepare and delicious.

So I came up with this crazy idea of cooking everything in this book. With each recipe the author gives variations to the recipe. I won't promise to do every variation, but I promise to do one variation of every recipe. It may take me 10 years, or maybe just one, we'll find out. I won't promise to post everyday, I like to eat out occasionally. But I will stay devoted to this blog and keeping it updated with new experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment