Thursday, January 21, 2010

Chicken with Yogurt and Indian Spices p. 650

Ingredients: chicken, onion, garlic, ginger, cayenne, cumin, coriander, cardamon, tumeric, cinnamon, yogurt, cilantro.

Start off by heating your oil. When hot, throw in your chicken pieces (I used boneless breasts) and brown them on all sides. Remove from the pan. Next you will cook your onions if you are using them, I did not. Next you will throw in your chopped garlic and ginger as well as spices. Stir in the yogurt. (I have tried several similar recipes and those all called for the yogurt towards the end with minimal cooking time. I was worried about this step and I think my fears were not for nothing.)

Add in your chicken pieces and lower the heat. You will cook until the chicken pieces are thoroughly cooked through. I had to rearranged my chicken pieces every 5 minutes so that they were all evenly cooked.

In the end, my dish had a very weird consistency that I fear was from over cooking the yogurt. Everything tasted fine and it was delicious, but I just don't think it was supposed to end up this way.



Served over Rice Pilaf

1 comment:

  1. This dish is rich with two cups of full fat yogurt or coconut milk. The fat per serving probably in the range of 30 to 40 grams. I would dilute the yogurt or coconut milk with water or chicken stock with a ratio of 1 to 1 to reduce the fat. The same thing applies to other recipes like Grouper in Yellow Curry (p. 592) and Mixed Vegetable Thai (p. 374). Paul.

    ReplyDelete