Monday, January 18, 2010

Roast Chicken with Herb Butter

I love a roast chicken. Its so easy to cook and produces a pretty and delicious meal. Not to mention, the left over bones are great to make chicken stock from. I've made the simplest whole roast chicken several times, but I was curious to try different versions.

For this variation, I mixed chopped fresh parsley with softened butter. You will use most of the butter to stuff between the chicken meat and the skin. Which reminded me of what I did with our Thanksgiving turkey. I find it difficult to get it to spread evenly underneath the skin, but I guess it doesn't have to be perfect. Once it gets hot, the butter will melt into all the crevices. Also smear some butter on the outside of the bird.

Roast until the chicken is done.



While, its not the prettiest, it was one tasty bird.



This dish was served with quick glaze carrots and simply cooked spinach.

1 comment:

  1. The book calls for one stick of butter and it seems to be excessive. Most of that butter ends up in the pan. Better Homes and Garden uses 2 tablespoons and the nutrition information states 49 grams of fats per serving with skin(one chicken serves four). And then there is extra step of submerging the breasts in the wine/butter mixture in the first 20 minutes. Why?Perhaps Mr. Bittman afraid of burning the butter on the breast side. If that is the case, then just cover the breast with aluminum foil for the first 15 minutes or roast at lower temperature. Not a clean recipe. Paul.

    ReplyDelete