Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Chili con Carne with Tomatoes p. 429

We had some very cold weather not too long ago and every time it gets really cold I crave chili. My mom makes the best chili, but I had never tried making it myself before.

This recipe calls for using dried beans, which is not how Mom makes it, but I was up for the challenge. Put the beans in a pot and cover with water. Let it boil then turn the heat down and let it simmer until the beans are soft. Drain the water once the beans are tender. Add in chile (if you want), cumin, oregano, and garlic. I opted to add tomatoes, so I added 1 can of chopped tomatoes. I also opted for ground beef. Throw your browned meet in at this point as well. Let it come to a boil and then cover and turn to low. Let it cook for another 15 minutes before serving.

Mark Bittman suggests serving with cilantro, which was nice, but I can't have a bowl of chili without a huge sprinkling of cheddar cheese.

2 comments:

  1. This is a mild tasting chili, but it doesnot require a lot of ingredients. Somehow you did not add the cinnamon, which is a good choice. Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adding a chopped up bell pepper would be nice. Saute the bell pepper at medium high heat for 5 minutes and add it to the pot before browning the meat. Paul.

    ReplyDelete