Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Balsamic Roasted Onion Halves p. 327

Ingredients: EVOO, onions, salt and pepper, thyme.

Vidalia onions. Oh my. I would go on a rant about how much I love Vidalia onions, but I don’t want to bore you. One of my very favorite things about summer is Vidalia onions. I’m not sure if its just a southern thing, or what, but they are delicious. My mom would peel a whole onion, cut off the tops and bottoms, scoop out a little divet in the top of one and pour some Italian dressing and parmesan cheese on top and cook it for like an hour. It was my very favorite dish growing up.

Bryan was going to be late one night from work last week, so I knew it was the perfect opportunity to make onions. With this recipe simply peel your onions, cut off the tops and bottoms, cut it in half horizontally. I opted for the balsamic roasted version and let them sit in a little bit of balsamic vinegar before cooking.



They turned out pretty good, but I still craved that Italian dressing flavor with them at the end. With the balsamic and thyme it really kicked up the flavor. Try it today, while the sweet onions are still in season.

No comments:

Post a Comment