Thursday, July 2, 2009

Rice Pilaf, Mexican Rice with Vegetables p. 460-161

Brief description: Rice cooked with carrots, celery, and other miscellaneous vegetables you feel like adding or have on hand. Garnished with cilantro.

Bryan loves rice. I’ve said that before. I just can’t reiterate how much he likes rice, okay? To go with our tamales, we had rice. Mexican rice. The original rice pilaf recipe has Seven Ways as part of the title. But naturally with tamales we’d opt for the Mexican version.

The Mexican version calls for 1/3 cup of carrots, celery, bell pepper, green beans, or peas. I interpret that to be whatever you like and have on hand. I left out onions, but added carrots, celery, and frozen English peas. And I didn’t measure. I did one onion, one celery stock, and the little amount of peas we had left.

I was slightly disappointed that there wasn’t more extensive seasonings other than salt and pepper. Hmm… maybe our “Mexican” we have in Memphis isn’t very authentic. But overall it was a nice rice dish without too much work. Just make sure that you remember to set your timer or watch the clock. In my exhaustion post-tamale making I forgot to set a timer, leaving a few pieces slightly burned. But it didn’t totally ruin the dish.


Mexican rice served with Tamales

No comments:

Post a Comment