Saturday, July 11, 2009

Green Bean Gratin p. 248-249

I always thought gratins were a way that potatoes were cooked. It wasn’t until I read through this cookbook that I realized you can make tons of veggies into a gratin. AND its easy! The chart on page 248 gives all kinds of variations with different veggies and what toppings and seasonings to use.

Ingredients: cooked green beans, cheese (I used swiss), fresh bread crumbs, olive oil, salt and pepper, paprika.


Start off by cooking your vegetable. I boiled mine, because its super easy and I have to look at recipes for the other methods of cooking. And it gave me time to prepare everything while they were cooking. After the green beans are cooked, drain, and put into a casserole dish or some kind of pan… a cookie sheet will even do. Then sprinkle with your cheese and bread crumbs, top with your seasoning. Broil til your cheese is bubbly and bread crumbs are toasty. Serve.

I have to say, this is way, way easier than any gratin I’ve ever done. This dish would be great if you are having company. You can even prepare everything ahead and when you are ready to serve, pop it under the broiler for a couple of minutes. No hassle, leaving you to visit with your guests and them to ooh and aah at the table.


Served with roasted tenderloin with bearnaise sauce and corn on the cob.

No comments:

Post a Comment