Monday, July 20, 2009

Quick Braised Fish Fillets in Tomato Sauce p. 570

Brief description: braise fish fillets, set aside. Cook onions, garlic, and tomatoes for a few minutes with wine, return fish to tomatoes, serve over rice or pasta.

Ingredients: EVOO, fish fillets, salt, pepper, all purpose flower, farlic, onion, white wine, tomato, and basil.

I like to buy a bag of frozen fish fillets, like tilapia or flounder, to keep in the freezer for week night meals. They are so easy to cook and are always delicious and nutritious. One night I wanted to cook fish and flipped through the fish section for an idea and stumbled upon this recipe. I had everything on hand, so I made it.

We now keep a post it flag on its page permanently. I’ve made it several times, once even for guests, and it is one of our favorite meals. It’s perfect over angel hair pasta. Bryan doesn’t even mind the tomatoes too much. I’ve made it with and without the wine, and I recommend it with wine if you have it. It just gives it an extra oomph.

Another plus about this meal is that it’s basically a one pot meal. I cook the fish in the same pot as the tomatoes. Of course there are the prep stuff like knives, cutting board, and measuring devices, but it’s relatively little clean up.

1 comment:

  1. In the yellow book (first edition), Mr. Bittman has a fish Provencal recipe, which is this recipe but you add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of olives at the end to add some tangy flavor. I use a small can of black olives (2.25 oz) sold everywhere. A similar recipe is Lamb Shanks with Tomatoes and Olives in page 776. Try it with fish next time. Paul.

    ReplyDelete