Thursday, September 10, 2009

Braised Potatoes p. 343

Ingredients: potatoes, EVOO, onion, stock, salt and pepper, parsley.

The book, How to Cook Everything, offers ten different ways to braise potatoes. This time around I went with the basic recipe. To be honest, I wasn’t overly impressed with the results, but then again, my potatoes were over cooked and mushy. Bryan liked them, but he also said he could live off only potatoes.

First heat your oil, and then toss in your potatoes for a few minutes stirring so they don’t stick to the pan. Then toss in your minced onion, let them cook for a couple of minutes til they are soft. Then you add in some stock and water if necessary (you want to make sure your potatoes are covered by the liquids). I put on the top and lowered the heat to cook for about 15 to 20 minutes. I think I cooked about 20-25 minutes, which is what the book said, but like I said earlier, mine were mushy, so you’ll want to check the tenderness every so often.

The consistency and taste was like stew, but without any variety. Some of the other options look more appealing and I’ll try them in the future.



Served with Salmon Roasted in butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment